Friday, April 9, 2010

Treats

Here's to dedication-3 weeks completed, 99.7% vegan. That is probably an average between the 2 of us, Heath cheated a bit while on vacay, and I've been royally disciplined to be 100% vegan. Overall, things are still going very well. This week was a bit rough, the sickness has gotten to our family for the first time in a long time. Stomach flu came about, fevers, and a bit of allergies/colds. It appears our immune systems are not as strong as I'd like. But I suppose everyone gets sick every now and again.

New tastes: For dairy free alternatives to sweets, I tried Soy Dream ice cream, in French Vanilla. Delish. Also, I had a bit of a craving for some sweet during Easter weekend, and bought a vegan chocolate bar, Raspberry Dark Chocolate...(can't remember the brand). Ate about 3 squares of it, it was rich and very satisfying. Got Laila some organic M&M type candy. Other than that, Annie's Cinnamon Bunnies are a good treat. I do find that my cravings for sweets (especially at night) have dramatically decreased. I can sit right by the leftover Easter candy that people brought to work and not even desire a taste.

Tidbit: In The Kind Diet, I learned about a lot of interesting information...but the one I am putting into practice immediately is...changing my chewing. Alicia talks about how important it is to use our mouths to break down the food and aid in digestion. I know it also helps our brains to recognize when we are full; by eating slower, we can enjoy our food more. I am already a painstakingly slow eater, but I wouldn't say that I chew all that much. I am trying to remember to chew each bite as long as I can.

Reading: I am reading Serve God, Save the Planet: A Christian Call to Action by Matthew Sleeth, M.D. I am only on Chapter 3, but so far I am enjoying it. It's basically about a doctor that was into the "green" movement, but felt he was living hypocritically. So, he and his family sold half they own, downsized dramatically, quit the high paying job and fast lifestyle in order to do what they thought was right in the eyes of God. It's a basic wake up call to Christians (and everyone, really) to forget the goal of consumerism-driven success, and live for what is real and lasting. We should be taking care of the planet for God and our future generations. The book also looks at disease and how the ever-polluting environment is contributing to the rising rates of cancer, etc. I don't know if he'll bring diet into it, but I do agree that it's a gamut of things that bring about all the health problems that most Americans face these days. He brings an interesting point:

Why do we continue to try to find a CURE but put aside finding the CAUSE?

No comments:

Post a Comment