Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Aftermath

I've been wondering what happens if I cheat a bit. Well, I have encountered the aftermath of a vegan cheating fest. Yesterday, Heath and I had planned on a date, but Laila has been sick and wasn't feeling well; therefore, no babysitter. We went to Subway to eat. (Our previous plans were Granite City; they have a portobello burger which is vegan). They no longer carry the pizzas that I like (which aren't vegan, but vegetarian)...so, in a quick glance across the menu, I chose the tuna sandwich, on flatbread. Added lots of veggies, just two slices of cheddar cheese. Didn't eat chips, had a Barq's Root Beer in lieu of aspartame laden diet sodas. Felt a little ill afterwards. (Maybe the mayo??) Went to the duck park with Laila, walked around. Still feeling nauseous. Went and rented a movie, wandered around Walgreens. Heath was a doll and got me my old fave, Gummi Bears. I decided this couldn't be too bad, shared a bag with Laila. I ate about half the bag while perusing real estate in Texas online. Didn't feel too hot afterwards, a little sugar LOW. I was up most of the night with Laila (high fever, bad cough, can't breathe very well). Woke up this morning feeling as if I had a night of crazy boozing and barhopping. As in...feel hungover. With none of the fun memories to go with it. So.
High fructose corn syrup+refined sugars+dyes+tuna+mayo+root beer=feeling like crap the next day.

Never again. This is how my body felt all the time, but I never noticed it because I was used to feeling that way. Next time I want to go a little crazy with the sugar, I will remember this queasy feeling and grab a piece of fruit.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Meg! I noticed you were a new follower on my blog, so I wanted to pop over and say hi and welcome you. Now, that I'm here, I see you've only been blogging since March. Well, I read your entire blog, all the posts, and I just love it! I think it's great that you are giving yourself a year to go vegan and test the raw waters, as well. And, it's awesome that your husband is on the bandwagon. How old is Laila? I noticed in your profile that you have an interest in homeschooling - is that in your plans for the future? It's a wonderful blessing. I really like how you incorporate the Lord within your posts, as well. I'm going to add you as a link in my blog under Vegan Food Blogs. I could very well add you under Christian, but since your blog's main focus is the vegan journey, that's where you'll live. :) I have other linked blogs that have similar crossovers. Well, great job! I'll keep checking on you, and if you need any support, you can leave a comment or e-mail me. My address is in my profile. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the joys of cheating.....I know them well.... I was a full fledged vegan for about 7 years when I was hit with an illness and was told that I need to eat meat/dairy again....since I am vegan for health reasons, I was secretly excited with the concept of cheese, since it is my favorite thing to eat....I was so sick....nasty icky, oh my goodness I am gonna die sick! Cheese is delicious, but it will hurt you alot, and animal meat...ugh! Just say no and be happy!!!! Hope to see you around the blog world!!!

    ReplyDelete